Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Edinburgh Saga: An Expected Party


So, I am running a little low on inspiration today.  That seems to be one thing that happens when you go home after college- nothing happens.  Okay, I am sure that is not true.  I mean, I have seen friends and family and all of that.  Obviously, I have been doing things.  (It's why it's been a few days since I have posted anything.)  It is just not anything I really want to blog about.  So, sorry, if you wanted to hear (or read) about that.

Instead, I am going to write the first installment of what I like to call “The Edinburgh Saga.”  Now, if you are friend or family, you have probably heard some version of this, but I have wanted to write it for some time now.  So, here goes.  Enjoy the gratuitous pictures of Scotland I throw in.



(Oh, by the way- Names have been changed so I don’t get in trouble.  Insert big grin here.)

It was November of 2010, and I was spending the semester in Dublin, Ireland.  It was absolutely marvelous, but when one has the whole of Europe to the east of oneself, it is rather difficult to stay in one country, let alone one city.  And so, during the first weekend of that month, a group of eleven Notre Dame Dubliners got on a Ryanair flight from Dublin, Ireland to Edinburgh, Scotland.

We were all naïve, excitable college students, and probably only that last bit has changed in the couple years since.  We were eager to experience Scotland and all of its culture, and so we obviously went for the most stereotypical of tourist activities: the pub-crawl.

Now, many fascinating things happened on this pub-crawl.  For one, I discovered that scotch whiskey does in no way compare to Jameson.  However, the story I wish to tell mostly takes place in the wee small hours of the morning, after all the pubs had closed. 



It was ten o’clock, and the group of us had confiscated a table at the first pub, somehow managing to squeeze all eleven of us around said table.  (For any who have been to a real pub, you will realize what a feat this is.)  Everybody was on their first drink of the night, and it was cozy with the sort of comfort you only get when you have been in constant close contact with a group of people for a couple months.  I was looking forward to a fun, relaxing night and had settled contentedly into my worn wooden chair, when Peter’s phone rang.  We all thought nothing of it as Peter backed away from the table so as to get some quiet.  However, as the conversation went on and his smile faded, I at least could tell it was not good news.



A twelfth member of our party, Fred, who had been in London and was coming to meet us, had missed his flight that morning due to a sickness born of alcohol.  There were no other flights available any time soon, and so he had decided to be adventurous and had gotten on a bus.  Fred called Peter to let him know that said bus had run into problems and that he would be arriving much later than planned, much later meaning approximately one am.  When Peter related this to the rest of us, we realized that someone would have to meet him at the bus stop at such an hour and guide him to the hostel, which was located a couple miles away from said bus stop.  Peter vowed that he would be the one to make the trek, as Fred was a close friend.  With a clink of our glasses, it was decided. 

Of course, going to a number of alcohol-selling establishments can give rise to a change in plans, and so it proved to be true in this story.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

(PS- For any who want to know, the above pictures are all from Edinburgh.  I'll probably post pics from other places in Scotland later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment